One question we hear all the time is : "What do I need to know about buying property"...big question!!! Real estate inventory changes, mortgage rates go up and down but here are 5 practical starting points:
- Before you begin to house shop, you need to have an idea of what town/neighborhood you want to live in and the style of house/condo you want. Some buyers narrow their search to only one community, but others have the flexibility to look in a few communities. Know which category you fall into. Are you a Cambridge condo buyer? Arlington single family buyer? Or both?
- It is okay to have a wish list, but you have to understand that no house/condo is going to be perfect. Rate and share your wish list with your agent. Keep in mind that the majority of Boston and Metro West communities have older inventory.
- See past the current owner’s furniture and “junk” and try to see the potential in every property.
- Condo buyers: you cannot negotiate condo/maintenance fees, and those fees tend to go up periodically.
- Look for the “value-add” for your real estate choice.
There is much more to cover on this subject and we are available by email, phone to answer all your real estate questions. You can also meet us:
Also, every Wednesday afternoon from 4-5 pm, Rob Russell will also be at Bean Towne Coffee House, Kendall Square, Cambridge MA. Stop by for coffee (decaf is available!!!)…
Just beginning your search? Start here: Avenue 3 Property Search. Not sure about the buying steps or what real estate forms look like? Download your Better Buyer Kit and Buyer Real Estate Forms Kit today!